What is it all about?
This brochure provides a brief description of eligibility criteria, the application process and procedures.
Who is Eligible?
- The applicant must be a resident of Bridgewater Township.
- The applicant must be the owner of the property and the property must be the principal place of residence.
- The Building cannot contain more than one (1) rental units and the principal unit must be owner occupied. All rent received must be declared as income by the applicant.
- The annual GROSS income (amount prior to taxes) of all persons residing in the applicant’s household must not exceed the maximum income level established by State Guidelines. These limits are subject to change annually.
- Property taxes must be current.
- The building must not be utilized for any purpose other than residential use.
What Rehabilitation and Improvements are Eligible?
Major Repairs or Replacements:
- Heating System (includes hot water heater)
- Plumbing (includes wells, sewer, and water connections)
- Sanitary Plumbing (including septic systems)
- Weatherization to reduce energy consumption
- Load Bearing structural damage
- Handicap facilities (documentation required)
- Stove (ONLY when a safety hazard exists)
Minor Repairs or Replacements:
- Minor painting
- Gutters and leaders
- Drywall and flooring
- Minor Carpentry
- Repair Driveways and sidewalks
What Rehabilitation and Improvements are Ineligible?
- Custom Painting
- Cosmetic Luxury Fixtures
- Purchase of appliances not required by local code
- Acquisition of land
- Custom tile
- Retention walls
So how does this program help?
The program is designed to provide assistance based on the Program Building Inspector’s determination of what eligible items are needed and does not guarantee the maximum assistance.
If eligible, a 100% property rehabilitation Deferred Loan will be made available on a First Come, First Served basis. A lien will be placed on your home and recorded with your property deed. This Loan (not to exceed $24,000) shall be forgiven ten (10) years from the date it is recorded at the County. During the ten (10) years, if you should transfer title or rent to someone for any reason, you, your heirs, executors or representative, must notify the Township and repayment must be made within thirty (30) days.
You qualify!! what next?
If after reading this pamphlet, you believe you are eligible for assistance, the first step is to completely fill out and return the Application along with all the documentation requested. Incomplete applications and/or missing documents will result in delaying your eligibility.
Applications are logged in order of the date a complete application is reviewed and approved and will be served on a First Come, First Served basis.
If your application has been on file for more than six (6) months when it reaches the top of the Application Logbook, your eligibility must be re-verified based on the requirements at the present time. If determined eligible, an appointment will be scheduled for an electrical inspection and a property inspection. You, or an adult representative, MUST be present for both inspections. A Work Write-Up for rehabilitation work will be prepared based upon the results of these inspections. A copy of the Work Write-Up will be forwarded to you for your review and comments.
The Program Building Inspector and the Homeowner will monitor the construction work in order to determine compliance with the Rehabilitation Contract. All work must be approved by the applicable Borough Inspectors as well as the Program Inspector prior to the contractor receiving payment.
What if I need help in applying?
Program staff is available to answer any questions or to provide assistance in completing the related forms.
For assistance, please contact:
44 East Water Street,
Toms River, NJ 08753
Between the hours of:
9:30 am and 4:00 pm Monday through Friday
THIS INFORMATION IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE.