What is it all about?
Warren Township as part of its Affordable Housing Trust Fund Program to provide a Housing Rehabilitation Program to assist eligible Township residents with funding for major and minor rehabilitation to their homes.
This brochure provides a brief description of eligibility criteria, the application process and procedures
Who is Eligible?
- The applicant must be resident of Warren Township.
- The applicant must be the owner of the home and it must be the principal place of residence.
- The annual GROSS income (amount prior to taxes) of all persons residing in the applicant's household must not exceed the maximum income level established by State Guidelines. These limits are subject to change annually.
What documentation is required from the applicant?
An application WILL NOT be deemed complete or processed until ALL the requested documentation listed below is received. The following INCOME DOCUMENTS MUST be returned with this form for ALL household members including minors and full-time students. These documents must reflect ALL income, non-taxable and taxable received for the last twelve (12) months.
- This documentation includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Copies of last year's Federal AND State Income Tax Returns for ALL household members. They are to include the signatures of the taxpayers and All applicable attachments and schedules.
- Copies of two (2) recent pay stubs showing gross year-to-date amounts. If this is not available, please obtain a letter from your place of employment stating your gross year-to-date and total gross annual income.
- Copies of the annual social Security and Supplemental Security Statements. If this is not available, please obtain a letter from the Social Security office stating your annual income.
- Copies of Disability statements. This must state the beginning and ending dates, as well as the amount received.
- Copies of Welfare statements. This must state the beginning and ending dates, as well as the amount received. If not available, obtain a letter from the Welfare Office.
- Copies of Unemployment statements. This must state the beginning and ending dates, as well as the amount received. If not available, obtain a letter from the Unemployment Office.
- Copies of Alimony and Child Support checks. Also required is a copy of the Separation/ Divorce agreement stating the amount received or to be received.
- Copies of Interest and Dividend statements which shows amounts in the account(s). To include CD's, stocks, bonds, etc.
- Copies of Pension and Annuity statements.
- Copies of ALL income received from child care, cleaning homes, etc.
- Copies of All other income and/or public assistance, non-taxable AND taxable received by ALL household members not listed above.
- Copy of the declaration page of current year homeowner's insurance policy. Copy of Flood Insurance if applicable.
- Copy of the RECORDED property deed. This copy MUST state the date recorded at the County as well as the book and page numbers it was recorded.
- Copies of any/all mortgages, equity loans or lines of credit currently on the property. The liens may not total more than 80% of the Fair Market Value of the home.
- Proof of paid property taxes. This proof can be obtained at the Municipal Tax Office.
What Rehabilitation and Improvements are Eligible?
Major Repairs or Replacements:
- Heating System (includes hot water heater)
- Plumbing (includes sewer and water connections)
- Weatherization to reduce energy consumption
- Structural damage
- Handicap facilities ( documentation required)
- Handicap facilities (documentation required)
- Stove (ONLY when a safety hazard exists)
Minor Repairs or Replacements:
- Minor painting
- Gutters and leaders
- Drywall and flooring
- Minor carpentry
What Rehabilitation and Improvements are Ineligible?
- Custom painting / Custom tile
- Cosmetic Luxury fixtures
- Purchase of appliances not required by code
- Acquisition of land
- Retention walls
So how does this program help?
Warren Township Housing Rehabilitation Program is designed to provide assistance (up to $20,000) based on the Program Building Inspector's determination of what eligible items are needed and does not guarantee the maximum assistance.
If you are eligible, a 100% property rehabilitation Deferred Loan will be made available on a FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED basis. A lien will be placed on your home which will be recorded with Warren Township in Somerset County. Half (50%) of this Loan (not to exceed $15,000) shall be forgiven ten (10) years from the date it was recorded at the County. During the ten (10) years, if you should transfer title or rent to someone for any reason, you, your heirs, executors, or representatives, must notify Warren Township Administration and repayment (pro-rated at no interest) must be made within thirty (30) days of the recorded transfer. The other half (50%) will be in the form of a perpetual loan with payment to the Township at the time of the sale of the home
You qualify!! what next?
If after reading this pamphlet, you believe that you are eligible for assistance, the first step is to COMPLETELY FILL OUT and return the Warren Township Housing Rehabilitation Program Application along with ALL requested documentation that applies to you as listed in this brochure. Incomplete application and/or documentation WILL NOT be accepted.
Applications are logged into the Applicant Log Book on the date the COMPLETE application is reviewed and approved and will be served on a FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED BASIS.
If your application has been on file for more than six (6) months when it reaches the top of the Application Log Book, your eligibility must be re-verified based on the requirements at the present time. If determined eligible, an appointment will be scheduled for an electrical inspection and a property inspection. You, or an adult representative, MUST be present for both inspections. A Work Write-up for rehabilitation work will be prepared based. Upon the. Results of these inspections. A copy of the Work Write-up. will be forwarded.to you for your review and comments.
Cost proposals will be solicited from general contractors for the work identified in the Work Write-up. A Rehabilitation Construction Contract will be executed between you and the selected contractor.
The Program Building Inspector and the Homeowner will monitor the construction work in order to determine compliance with the Rehabilitation Contract. All work must be approved by the applicable Municipal Inspectors as well as the program Inspector prior to the contractor receiving payment.
What if I need help in applying?
Program staff is available to answer any questions or to provide assistance in completing the related forms.
For assistance, please contact:
44 East Water Street,
Toms River, NJ 08753
Between the hours of:
9:30 am and 4:00 pm Monday through Friday
THIS INFORMATION IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE.